Day 2 - The first bell rings at 8:50. Classes begin at 8:55. Students will be dismissed at 3pm/ All Social Learning students will be attending Ms. Palmer's classroom full time for the first two weeks. Today you can bring your lunch.
Tips to Be Ready for the First Week
1. Start now to establish a school bedtime and morning routine. Encourage your child to go to bed and get up 15 minutes earlier each day until you are back on schedule. Remember that elementary aged children need about 10 hours of sleep each night. A good guideline is going to bed at 8:30 pm, reading for 30 minutes and lights out at 9 pm. Getting up at 7 am will leave plenty of time to get ready for school.
Work together with your child to create a visual daily schedule and post it where it is easily seen. Think about ways that your child can be responsible for following it and privileges that will earn him or her. You can easily make your own chart or www.freeprintablebehaviorcharts.com has many to choose from. Here are a few charts to help you get started.
Store Info: 1050 Boundary Road, Burnaby, B.C. V5K 4T3
Phone: 604-205-7560 or 1-800-668-8261.
However you can also purchase white uniform polos from Old Navy ($5.00 online) or Oxford shirts ($12.00) and black uniform khakis for $10.00. Here's the link - Old Navy uniforms
Make sure you label everything!
- mesh gym bag (not plastic bags)
- white or black Jarvis gym t-shirt
- black shorts and or black track pants (No logo unless Jarvis logo)
- gym runners
- White golf shirt or dress shirt (with or without Jarvis logo)
- Optional - gold golf shirt with Jarvis logo
- 2 pairs of black pants
- black Jarvis Hoodie or sweater (NO OTHERS ALLOWED)
- Black socks
- Girls uniform black or plaid skirt or tunic.
- black tights
- black shoes and gym runners
4. Pick out a great backpack, water bottle, running shoes and indoor shoes.
5. Decide where your child will be doing homework. Expect 30 minutes a night to start. This will increase as projects are assigned. I suggest that you DO NOT put a computer in your child's bedroom. It is best to have the computer in a spot that you can supervise. If it is in the bedroom then plan that they will complete homework someplace else.
6. Now you can buy school supplies. They are quite limited as many items will be shared or provided. You can print the page out below.
Social Learning Program
- package of 10 multi color duo tangs
- 1 package printer paper
- 12 HB pencils - sharpened
- 2 packages white erasers
- 2 glue sticks
- 24 or 48 pack pencil crayons - sharpened
- 24 or 48 pack fine tip markers
- six (6) one dollar store items for token economy
- headphones or ear buds in labelled plastic bag
- pencil case or box
- one box kleenex